Sunday, August 15, 2010

Redwood Trees

I am going to try to start a new daily blog using pictures that I have taken during my travels and everyday life.

The attached photo is a redwood tree.

This monstrosity was growing in the front yard of a historical home in Napa, California.

Redwoods have always been part of my life...Yes, I know.  I haven't lived in California since 1984, but while you can take the girl out of California, you can't take California out of the girl. *shrug*  What can I say?  My earliest memories are of trips to the woods up Highway 9 to Big Basin Redwoods State Park (Big Basin to us locals).  Even in high school, when I started dating guys with cars, all of our favorite outings were to Big Basin to walk amongst these gorgeous giants.

Apparently, redwood trees don't grow anywhere but on the west coast.  I didn't appreciate them nearly as much as I should have, but hindsight is 20/20, right?  As a young person, I just assumed that redwoods were EVERYWHERE, but, alas, no, they aren't.

Back where I grew up we had redwood fences, redwood decks, redwood planters, you name it....Here in my new home state we don't have that.  We have pressure treated wood, and that's all good, too, but I have to admit, I miss my redwoods.  :)

Should any of you have the opportunity to go to Northern California, I recommend taking a trip through redwood forests, if you can...(And as I'm writing this, I have the lyrics to that popular song that most of us learned in elementary school:  "From the redwood forests, to the gulf stream wa-aters; this land was made for you and me!"

Have a great day, everyone!

Till next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment